Saturday 8 March 2014

Fitting It All In - Part 2 (An Ode to My Husband)

"Fitting it all in" entails not only training.  It includes getting kids to and from school, getting to work, making meals, shopping, cleaning the house, getting kids to their activities, church duties, scheduling sitters when needed, girls nights, guys nights, oh - and sleep!.  There were many many months when my husband was away for long periods of time when the kids were really small, and there was no way I could even think about running an ultra.  But now that he has a regular work schedule, I have the luxury to pursue this goal of mine. I fully realize the commitment that he has made to help me reach my goal.

Top 5 Things My Husband Does to Support My Running

1) Picks up the kids from school and makes some meals. He is a SUPER dad!
2) Eats anything I put in front of him with no complaints.  He has embraced my "healthier lifestyle" wholeheartedly including quinoa, hemp seeds, chia seeds and coconut milk!
3) Plans holidays around my runs.  He did get a trip to Hawaii out of one run though :)
4) Gives up every Sunday morning so I can do my long runs.
5) Tells me he is proud of me and rarely complains about my time away from the house.

My DH once spent the day before Thanksgiving up early with the kids to watch me run a half marathon in Victoria, then the rest of the day in the ER while I recovered from food poisoning from post race food that sent me into shock and severe dehydration, followed by a 3 hour drive home with 2 very tired little boys.  I am filled with gratitude that I have such an amazing supportive partner.

Before I decided to do this race, we made an agreement.  If during my training it becomes apparent that it's not working for me, my family or for him, then I will stop.  I gave him veto power.  None of this would be possible without him and I want to say THANK-YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment