Monday 10 March 2014

Week 10: Lessons in Recovery

This morning the time changed...and the weather changed!  It was a grunt to get up early, but oh the reward.  Spring like temperatures and clear skies greeted Sarah and I as we ran from our houses to Seal Bay Park (yet again), twice around the park and home.  Hopefully this will be the last time the snow keeps us out of the mountains.

As my runs are getting longer, I am really trying to figure out what works well for me for recovery.  I am by now means an expert, and have been trying different things to shorten my down time.  The last 2 weeks I think I've done quite well.  Here are a few things I've learned about what works and doesn't work for MY body at THIS point in time.
  1. Eat within 30 min of finishing my workout.  This is really hard, as eating is the LAST thing I want to do, but if I can at least get something into me quickly it pays off.  Usually a shake or energy bar.
  2. Warm bath for 20 min with loads of epsom salts. I know ice is recommended, but this winter my core temp needed a hot bath!
  3. Stretching within 1 hour.
  4. Foam rolling, usually in the evening when I have the time to invest into it.  I have really loved using the foam roller the last few weeks.  I get really tight gluts and hamstrings, and the foam roller isn't always comfortable to use, but totally works.  Ascent Physiotherapy (my office) stocks them.
  5. Compression socks.  I recently got my first pair of these and I LOVE THEM!  I have bad veins in my legs (I've actually had vein surgery) and today these babies made my legs feel like they had springs on them all day long rather than sluggish dead weights.
  6. Hydration plus plus.  I drink LOTS of water all day after a long run.  Today I tried coconut water for the first time cause I've heard so much about it.  If you crave sweet things after a run, then it may be for you, but I found it sickeningly sweet.  I would rather get my electrolytes from a banana (per Sarah's suggestion) which is cheaper with less packaging than from a can of overpriced water.  I also usually crave salt, so sweet isn't high on my priority list.
  7. Easily digestable lunch.  I have been really liking having fish or chicken and rice or potatoes (seasoned with plenty of salt) plus veggies for lunch following a long run.  I am not a vegetarian, but am not opposed to those options also, however beans and legumes take longer to make and I usually do them for suppers.
  8. Finally - it seems that now that I'm running 5 instead of 4 days per week with higher mileage, I'm recovering better.  Seems weird but it's true.  My legs are just getting used to it.

Total Distance: 30K
Time: 3:23
Fuel: 2 Fruit Bars, 4 Mejool Dates: 480 calories
Notes on Fuel: more calories this week = better energy
Post run recovery: Compression socks rock.
Plans for next week: Joining the ELM 10K clinic to give the injury talk, followed by more hills!
Gratitude: Spring is in the air!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment