Wednesday 14 May 2014

Taking Stock

Four days until race day.  At this point I have done almost all I can do to get ready for the race.  I've barely run this week and although in some ways it's killing me, in other ways it's been so nice to have time to spend with my family and catch up on yard work now that the weather is so amazing here in the valley.

This evening as I was puttering in my yard in 24 degree heat at 7:00 pm with energy to spare, I was intensely grateful that I chose an early season race.  We are not moving now as we had planned, but my choice of race date has worked out perfectly regardless.  I would much prefer to run in the rain and cooler weather than in the heat (although I don't plan to stop running this summer) and these past 2 weeks I've been able to enjoy time on the beach, camping, and a few sleep-in mornings that seem a total luxury.

So here is where I'm at.  I've purchased all the race fuel that I plan to use that won't be available at the aid stations.  I've had a hair cut.  I was getting seriously shaggy and now understand why the Anton-style hairdo's exist in ultrarunning - no one has the time or desire for grooming when running 80+K/week.  New shoes are broken in and ready to go. I've been getting to bed between 9 and 10:30 each night for 2 weeks which is a serious feat for me, especially when DH is away.  My weight is down - the lightest I've been since I was 26 and ran my first marathon.  The running playlist of almost complete short of Thunderstuck which for some reason has mysteriously disappeared from my computer.

Travel plans almost complete.  The North Cascades Highway just opened last Thurs and had 35' of snow to clear in some avalanche shoots, but it will save us some time getting there. My 2 girlfriends that were to come as our "crew" are unfortunately not coming now due to both work and health issues.  I am rather disappointed, but am supremely grateful that Sarah will be coming to keep me company and share the joy (and pain).  I'm sure she'll finish before me and hopefully will be able to get that elusive finish line picture (for free) that I am determined to one day get!

So that means I will be spending some time putting together drop bags tomorrow night for the aid stations and mentally preparing to boost myself through the race and through the checkpoints.  This race needs to happen this weekend.  I am getting too used to these taper weeks and need to MOVE MY BODY!  The best thing about racing any distance for the first time is that you are guaranteed a PR!

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment