Monday 23 February 2015

Back in the Saddle

Well, I'm back in the saddle.  It's been a long time since my last post, and during that time I've continued running, simply for joy and trying to maintain a base level of fitness.  Completing 2 - 50K races last season seemed like quite the accomplishment.  My first foray into the ultrarunning world.  But it took me a LOT longer to recover than I thought. Interestingly, my body recovered much faster than my mind.  I simply could not fathom entering another ultra race.  I volunteered at a few, but avoided entering anything.  I decided to start weight training again and try to achieve some balance in my body after a long season of training in one discipline.  There was a lot of work to do.

That's until Dec came along and it seemed almost all the races had moved their registration dates forward and decided to go to a lottery system.  December is NOT the time of year that I am really thinking about race schedules and training plans. My husband was away with work for a few months and I was in survival mode at home.  But, it was time to consider what 2015 was going to look like.  My friend and running buddy Sarah had identified 2 races that she wanted to do this year.  The Diez Vista 50K in Port Moody, BC and the Miwok 100K in Stinson Beach, CA.  I knew I wanted to push myself again this year, but thought maybe a 50 miler would be the next logical step, not 100K.  In a flurry of texting between Hawaii (where Sarah was vacationing) and Comox, we somehow managed to enter the lottery for both races, never dreaming we'd get in to both.  I figured I would just throw it out there, and God would decide what I was meant to do this year.

Well, we got into both races.  Diez is 3 weeks before Miwok.  I've never run more than 50K before. Tickets were booked to San Francisco, beach house accommodation was booked - all with my husband conveniently absent and unable to be a voice of reason.  What in the world was I thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment