Friday 13 May 2016

Mission: Boredom

One week out from GC50.  I usually do a 4 week taper, this time I decided 3 weeks was enough.  Honestly, I'm starting to think I made a mistake.

I'm tired.  Very tired.

Sure I've been tapering with my running, but in the rest of my life things have ramped up something serious.  Squeezing last minute patients into a work day that's already packed solid with time on feet, cooking and freezing extra food at home (time on feet in kitchen), getting some quality time with the family (we try to make it active meaning time on feet), tying up all those loose ends.  By the end of the day my feet are still tired and suddenly getting my coveted 8 hours of sleep a night seems more difficult that running 50K.  Even sitting down needs to be scheduled.  I am more tired now than I was at the end of my peak week which is not exactly good.

I'm now a dual citizen..still a Team ELMer!
I've recognized for a long time that recovery is just as important as training.  So I've been tracking my hours of sleep for the past several weeks.  Upon looking back, until last Sunday (Mother's Day) it had been 6 weeks since I had slept in later than 5:30 often getting up much earlier.  I need to get to bed by 9:30 in order to get my 8 hours of sleep.  Doesn't happen often. I've been averaging 6.75 hours which is simply not enough.

I admit I'm liking that fact I don't have a long run in the morning this week: and I'm tired of being that person...
So, my goal for the next week is to get SLEEP.  And to sit down more.  Without feeling guilty or worrying about what isn't getting done.  This week my mission is to feel bored.  If that's even possible. Because one week from tomorrow morning, I want to be a tightly wound spring..ready to be sprung.

I will seeing the Grand Canyon - for the first time - on foot.  #can'tfreakingwait

Next post: GC50 Race Report!

Oh, and thanks to all who have voted for me for the Salming Ambassador Contest.  If you haven't, or you have another email address you can use, please vote again!  I love their shoes and would love to represent.
Cheering on my friends at the Spruce Woods Ultra last weekend. This sign was for my friend Todd who somehow managed to place 2nd in the 100K event despite his horrible attitude and complete lack of training. (wink wink)

No comments:

Post a Comment