Sunday 13 April 2014

Lessons in Hyponatremia

This week I was back in the game for a 40K run.  We ended up doing 41K with 1110m (3640') of elevation gain.  That meant 5 hours and 20 minutes of moving my feet along an often very rocky, rugged trail and not always feeling so great.  We moved out to our summer campsite this weekend, where we spend almost every weekend of the summer camping at the best beach in the area (in my opinion).  I knew there would be sacrifices to be made for this running goal of mine, but going to bed at 9:00 pm on a Sat night and leaving my husband at the campfire by himself seemed just wrong.  However, I got myself to bed with the kids and woke at 6:00am with time for coffee and oatmeal in the camper, and a snap shot of the sunrise as I headed out to pick Sarah up for a 7:00 start at the trail head.

This run was LONG.  I thought I was ready.  I had my fuel, my water (2L), put on sunscreen as it was supposed to be a sunny warmer day.  We started slow and I was doing well until about 26K.  As we headed up our second long climb of the day along Branch 21 (where we saw the cougar 2 weeks ago), I went from feeling great to feeling totally crappy in a matter of minutes.  The sun was hot on our heads at that point, I was sweating, and I totally felt like I was going to be sick.  Really sick.  I didn't want to eat. My head was swimming and pounding, and I just felt like curling up on a ball.  I had been eating on schedule, drinking on schedule, but upon taking stock, determined that I must be suffering from hyponatremia.  Luckily, Sarah had some S-caps in her pack and I took 2 salt pills.  Slowed to a walk up most of the climb and just focused on 1 foot in front of the other.  It took a good 30-45 minutes before I was feeling better again.  Splashing water on my face from a creek helped, as did getting back into the cool of the forest plus eating more salty potatoes.

I haven't been using electrolytes to this point, as it's been so cool and I've managed to get salt, etc from my food.  But today I realized that it's heating up, I sweat a lot, and I need to start using something in my water as well as S-caps.  I can't believe I did another 12K after feeling so crappy, but it really is true that as long as you deal with whatever is making you feel horrid and just keep going, it gets better.  Having Sarah drag me along during that time sure helped too.  I'm glad I had that experience during a training run though and I sure hope I figure out how to keep it from happening again!

After the run we soaked our feet in the river which was sooooo cold!  I don't know which hurt more, my feet in the water or sitting down on that rock.  Today my run was followed by yet another son's birthday party, so there was no rest for this mom when I came home.  My experience running the longest duration I ever have was quickly forgotten in favor of bowling with ten 5-7 year olds, cake, candles and a pinata.  That is, until I sat down.

PS: My hamstring/sciatic nerve has recovered nicely.  I had treatments from 2 stellar therapists this week.  Sue Whitehouse at Cedar Therapeutic Massage worked wonders on me on Tues, and my coworker Kendra Mulligan at Ascent Physiotherapy tuned me up on Wed.  Between the 2 of them I feel amazingly better so THANK-YOU ladies!

Total Distance: 41.0K, elevation gain 1110m
Time: 5:20
Fuel: 1 Oskri bar, 1 Lara bar, 2 SunRype fruit bars, 1 cup potatoes, 1 Power Gel
Notes on Fuel: needed more electrolytes, but the sugar/carbs worked well
Post run recovery: Soaked feet in ice water, contrast shower, epsom salt bath, compression socks, water, salty snacks and iced my knees this evening as they got pretty sore
Plans for next week: Taking it easy for another 40K next Sunday
Gratitude: Sunshine and warmer weather and running buddy with salt pills in her pack!




No comments:

Post a Comment